26 Teams from 15 States in 13 Games across ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3
Twenty-six teams from 15 states will compete in the third annual ESPN High School Football Kickoff, August 24-26, across ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3. The 13 matchups will showcase 11 ESPN 150 ranked players, 12 defending state champions and 18 teams appearing on an ESPN network for the first time.
2012 By The Numbers:
- 12 defending state champions, including two games with dueling state champions:
- Fri, Aug. 24, ESPN2: Good Counsel (MD, WCAC) and Bishop Gorman (NV, 4A)
- Sat, Aug. 25, ESPN: Byrnes (SC, 4A Div. 1) and Oscar Smith (VA, Div. 6)
- Additional state champions playing: Valor Christian (CO, Class 4A), American Heritage (FL, 3A), Staley (MO, Class 5), Ensworth (TN, 2A Div. II), Santa Margarita (CA, Southern Sec. PAC 5), Maryville (TN, 6A), Trotwood–Madison (OH, Div. II) and Gilman (MD).
- 18 teams appearing on ESPN for the first time (in order of appearance):
- Providence Catholic (Ill.)
- Minnetonka (Minn.)
- Arrowhead (Wis.)
- Valor Christian (Co.)
- American Heritage (Fla.)
- Fork Union Military Academy (Va.)
- Hermitage (Va.)
- Staley (Mo.)
- Lee’s Summit West (Mo.)
- Ensworth (Tenn.)
- Lexington Catholic (Ky.)
- Santa Margarita Catholic (Calif.)
- Brophy Prep (Ariz.)
- Alcoa (Tenn.)
- Maryville (Tenn.)
- University School (Fla.)
- Trotwood-Madison (Ohio)
- Gilman (Md.)
- Teams from 15 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.
- Seven states represented for the first time during Kickoff: Arizona, Colorado, Kentucky, Minnesota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.
- 11 student-athletes ranked in the ESPN 150: No.10 Christian Hackenberg (QB, Fork Union), No. 19 Cam Burrows (CB, Trotwood-Madison), No. 28 Kendall Fuller (DB, Good Counsel), No.30 Greg Bryant (RB, American Heritage), No.40 Maquedius Bain (DT, University School), No. 45 Jordan Cunningham (WR, University School), No.58 Derrick Green (RB, Hermitage), No. 70 Ty Isaac (RB, Joliet Catholic), No. 76 Dorian O’Daniel (OLB, Good Counsel), No.82 Tarean Folston (ATH, Cocoa), and No. 104 Mike McCray II (OLB, Trotwood-Madison).
2012 ESPN High School Football Kickoff Schedule:
|Fri, Aug 24||8 p.m.||Joliet Catholic Academy (Ill.) vs. Providence Catholic (Ill.)||Providence Catholic High School||ESPNU|
|8 p.m.||Minnetonka (Minn.) vs. Arrowhead (Wis.)||Arrowhead High School||ESPN3|
|9 p.m.||Good Counsel (Md.) vs. Bishop Gorman (Nev.)||Bishop Gorman High School||ESPN2|
|10 p.m.||Mullen (Co.) vs. Valor Christian (Co.)||Valor Christian High School||ESPN3|
|Sat, Aug 25||noon||American Heritage (Fla.) vs. Cocoa (Fla.)||Cocoa High School||ESPN|
|3 p.m.||Fork Union Military Academy (Va.) vs. Hermitage (Va.)||Oscar Smith High School||ESPNU|
|3:30 p.m.||Staley (Mo.) vs. Lee’s Summit West (Mo.)||Lee’s Summit West High School||ESPN|
|7 p.m.||Byrnes (S.C.) vs. Oscar Smith (Va.)||Oscar Smith High School||ESPN|
|9 p.m.||Ensworth (Tenn.) vs. Lexington Catholic (Ky.)||Lexington Catholic High School||ESPNU|
|10 p.m.||Santa Margarita (Calif.) vs. Brophy College Prep (Ariz.)||Phoenix College||ESPN2|
|Sun, Aug 26||noon||Alcoa (Tenn.) vs. Maryville (Tenn.)||Maryville High School||ESPN2|
|3 p.m.||University School (Fla.) vs. Trotwood-Madison (Ohio)||Kings High School||ESPN|
|7 p.m.||Gilman (Md.) vs. Moeller (Ohio)||Kings High School||ESPNU|
Last year’s ESPN High School Football Kickoff also featured 13 games including: defending Florida 6A Champion Armwood, defending Nevada 4A Champion Bishop Gorman, defending Alabama 6A Champion Prattville and defending Indiana 4A Champion Indianapolis Cathedral.
The ESPN High School Football Kickoff is produced in conjunction with Paragon Marketing Group.
About Paragon Marketing Group
Paragon Marketing Group is a corporate consulting agency specializing in sports, entertainment and cause related sponsorships. Paragon has partnered with ESPN over the past 10 years to deliver over 200 live high school football and basketball telecasts featuring many of the top teams and players in the nation. Paragon’s consulting clients include Gatorade, Nature Valley Granola Bars, United Airlines, PNC Bank, Reliant Energy, Bayer and Cuties.
Gracie Blackburn, ESPN, Gracie.Blackburn@espn.com