January 7, 2013
To Tweet: http://es.pn/109Msom
ESPN Deportes celebrates its 9th anniversary today, entering its tenth year with a continued focus on multimedia content, comprehensive live and studio programming, and strong ratings. ESPN Deportes’ 2012 was highlighted by record television consumption and significant expansion across digital and radio platforms.
During 2012, ESPN Deportes enjoyed its highest-rated event (Euro 2012 Championship), month (June) and quarter (April-June), and its most-watched fiscal year. For the fourth consecutive year (2009 was the first full calendar year the network was measured by Nielsen), ESPN Deportes continues to be the most-watched Spanish-language sports cable network.
ESPN Deportes Radio launched on 1050 AM New York, becoming the first and only around-the-clock, Spanish-language sports station in the market, adding significant expansion to the network. With the launch, ESPN Deportes Radio now in the top 10 U.S. Hispanic markets, reaching close to 80 percent of the U.S. Hispanic population. ESPN Deportes currently has 45 affiliates nationwide. In addition, ESPN Deportes expanded its digital offerings with the launch of a new broadband channel, ESPN Deportes+, a programming extension of ESPN Deportes and ESPN3 dedicated to serving sports fans with live events in Spanish.
- June 2012 was ESPN Deportes’ best month ever, and the highest-rated, most watched month ever on any Spanish-language cable sports network (0.9 Hispanic household rating and 46,000 viewers);
- 5.25 million people (P+2) tuned into live coverage of Euro 2012 tournament on ESPN Deportes, a 31 percent increase from 4 million people who tuned in to live coverage of Euro in 2008;
- ESPN Deportes also owned the top four most viewed telecasts on Spanish-language cable in 2012 led by the Euro final (July 1), followed by the two SuperCopa matches- second-leg match (August 29) in second place and first-leg (August 23) in third; and La Liga’s regular season second encounter between Real Madrid and Barcelona (April 21);
- The network’s news and information programming also posted record ratings: Fuera de Juego (5.2 Hispanic household rating; July 1) and Golpe a Golpe (3.6 Hispanic household rating; December 8) had their highest-rated and most-watched telecasts ever;
- Other ratings successes: ESPN Deportes owned 7/10 most watched sports news and info telecasts on Spanish-language cable in 2012. (HH imp); LA Lakers vs. Dallas Mavericks delivered the most-watched NBA regular season game (0.9 HH cvg rtg/46,000 HH impressions; February 22); and Monday Night Football continues to grow with higher ratings and viewership.
- ESPN Deportes secured multimedia rights agreements with UEFA Europa League, Brasileiro & Paulista Championships, Mexico’s Copa MX and expanded coverage of MLB as part of ESPN’s extension agreement with the league;
- Studio and original programming also expanded with the launch of the network’s first live, morning weekday show, Raza Deportiva, a simulcast of ESPN Deportes Radio’s soccer debate program; A Los Golpes, a weekly show that recaps the weekend of boxing with special guest host, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.; El Bar, a series that brings together the worlds of sport and entertainment; and Capitales del Futbol, documentary-style profiles of some of the greatest soccer destinations in the world.
- The company debuted the first Spanish-language “This is SportsCenter” promo, featuring Robinson Cano of the New York Yankees.
ESPN Deportes Radio
- ESPN Deportes Radio delivered the most comprehensive offering of live sports available on all U.S. Spanish-language media airing more than 300 LIVE sports events through the entire year;
- 1050 AM NY secured its first rights agreements for local coverage of NFL’s Jets and MLB’s Mets;
- In addition to launching 1050 AM, the radio network also expanded with new stations in Atlanta, Chicago, New Orleans, Portland, Reno, San Antonio and Tulsa.
- ESPN Deportes+ launched as the new ESPN Deportes digital destination for live sports events. The broadband channel is available via an ESPN3 player on ESPNdeportes.com and accessible on smartphones, tablets and Xbox, reaching approximately 7.7 million Hispanic households across all platforms.
- ESPNdeportes.com logged its most trafficked day ever in the U.S. following the Pacquiao-Marquez 4 fight. On December 9, the site generated nearly 877,500 page views for the day, surpassing the previous high set in April 2009 (source: Omniture). Additionally, the fight accounted for 29 percent and 62 percent of all video starts online and on the mobile Web, respectively – both tripling the previous highs on either platform.
- Among Hispanics, ESPN Mobile ranked #1 across the mobile Web and sports apps for total minutes (104 million), unique visitors (2.9 million), and an average minute audience of nearly 2,600 (source: Nielsen).
- On average, there were 2.4MM visits to Deportes Mobile each month; up +18% compared to 2011. (source: Omniture)
- ESPN Deportes’ Facebook page logged its top two highest engagement and reach rates this year with two engaging posts following the Pacquiao-Marquez 4 fight. Both posts generated a high-volume of interaction, reaching over 126,000 unique fans.