ESPN and the ATP have finalized an agreement that will continue television coverage of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events in Canada and Cincinnati each summer starting in 2016. The coverage – part of ESPN’s continuing extensive schedule of the Emirates Airline US Open Series– totals nearly 50 hours and covers the last four … Read More
It’ll be 29 years at ESPN for me come the fall of 2015 (the only job I’ve ever had) after joining merely to help with the America’s Cup for three months at a robust $5.50 per hour. I like to say I simply kept showing up. I’ve worked on almost every sport, plus answered viewer calls and letters (people used to write!), given tours, written the company newsletter and once drove NASCAR’s Jeff Gordon to the local airport. My travels have been varied…I’ve been to Martinsville and Super Bowls; the America’s Cup (all 3) in San Diego and College GameDay in the sport’s meccas such as Eugene, Auburn, Lubbock, Stillwater and more; the NBA Finals and Indy 500; Wimbledon (11 times and counting) and the “other Bristol,” the one with a race track in Tennessee. These days, in addition to overseeing the Listings Area and www.ESPNMediaZone.com, my main areas are tennis, ratings, and corporate communications documents, including ESPN’s history and growth.
Three-time defending champion Novak Djokovic – who also won in 2008 – leads the elite field of eight at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals with weeklong coverage totaling 60 hours on ESPN3 starting Sunday, Nov. 15, with ESPN2 joining for 10 hours starting Thursday, Nov. 19, concluding with the championship live Sunday, Nov. 22, at 1 p.m. ET.
· Most Viewed US Open among Men 18-34 since 2009
· Men’s Championship Audience up 43%; Rating among Men 18-34, 18-49 More than Tripled, Best since ‘09
· WatchESPN Viewership More Than Quadruples – up 377 Percent – to Tennis Record
· First All-ESPN US Open to Climax with One of Tennis’ All-time Great Rivalries
· Federer, Djokovic: 26 Major Titles Between Them, 464 Weeks at No. 1, 11 Titles this Year
· Women’s Doubles Championship on ESPN3 Sunday at Noon – Hingis Goes for 5th Major Title of 2015
· Unseeded Vinci, No. 26 Pennetta in Their First Major Final; At 32, 33, Two of WTA’s Oldest in Top 100
· Through 10 Days, TV Audience Highest since 2009; WatchESPN Live Minutes Viewed up Four Fold
· Men’s Doubles Championship on ESPN3 Saturday at Noon
@ESPNTennis & US Open: Young Viewers Driving TV Audience Surge; WatchESPN Explosion; All Four SFs Now Friday at 11 a.m. ET, Serena in Second Match
• TV Audience up 40% vs. Last Year’s Multi-Network Approach, Rating among Viewers 18-34 Doubled
• ESPN/ESPN2 up 79% in Windows Aired Both Years
• WatchESPN Usage up Nearly 4X – Number of Devices and Time Spent Viewing Both Contribute to Growth
• Rain Pushes Women’s SFs to Friday; Serena’s Penultimate Match en route to Grand Slam
· Much-Anticipated Meeting Peaks at 5.6; Serena only Two Wins from Grand Slam
· Entire 5+-hour Telecast Scores a 2.7 Overnight Rating – ESPN’s Second Best for Tennis
· 2.7 Rating only Exceeded by 2012 Wimbledon Gentlemen’s Final where Federer Defeated Murray (3.1)
· Tuesday Sets Tennis Record for WatchESPN for Third Time during US Open
•Serena Leads Series 15-11; Only Six Sets from Calendar Year Grand Slam
•Sisters are 2-2 at US Open, including 1-1 in Finals; Haven’t Met in New York since 2008
•Nightcap on Ashe: Top Seed Djokovic vs. Surprising No. 18 Feliciano Lopez
• New Exclusive Schedule Creates First-Ever All-ESPN Holiday Weekend
• ESPN2, ESPN3 from 11 a.m. ET – Last Ball
• Saturday on Ashe: Kvitova, Federer, Azarenka; Prime Time: Halep, Murray
• Serena, Survives a Scare, Faces Toughest Test Yet Sunday: 20-Year Old American No. 19 Keys
After three days of the first all-ESPN US Open, ESPN’s TV audience is up 58% from a year ago, averaging 853,000 viewers (P2+), up from 540,000 in 2014.
- ESPN NY Radio Presents Weekends Bilingual Show El Locker Room 1050
- ESPN College Football Week 13: TV Schedule Featuring 12 of Top 15 Teams, College GameDay in Stillwater, SEC Nation at the Iron Bowl, FCS Playoff and a Week 12 Ratings Update
- Monday Night Football Helps ESPN Win the Night among All Networks
Need Photos? Click the logo and sign up for access to the ESPN Images Library.